Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Spaghetti Tuesdays


I make the best spaghetti sauce at Whole Circle. It may be the "best" because I've cornered the market. I make spaghetti every Tuesday, so I've kind of got a de facto exclusive on the right to make spaghetti. I've preserved some, for Deborah and I to have this winter, using tomatoes from my biointensive garden.
The ingredients are flexible, for example where I say 0 to 3 Tbs thyme, below, means thyme is not absolutely necessary. So, as a minimum this recipe requires only garlic and tomatos. You can add any one of the other ingredients, or none of them. The garlic is from the 20 varieties I grew last year. It tastes fantastic.
My typical spaghetti sauce ingredients:
0 to 5 large onions, diced
1 to 2 bulbs garlic (that's right, whole bulbs, not the cloves which make up a bulb), minced or cut fine.
A huge bowl of tomatoes, cut in half, or whole, if your in a rush
0 to 5 bell peppers, cut into pieces (option: Cut in half and cook both sides under broiler until almost black)
0 to 2 cans tomatoe paste
0 to 1 hot pepper, diced
0 to 3 Tbs fresh thyme
0 to 1/2 cup red wine
Saute onions until dark golden brown. Add minced garlic, stir into onions, within 30 seconds add remaining ingredients. Simmer ten minutes, serve on noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment