Saturday, September 25, 2010

Rural Romp



Lasts April I volunteered to be the farm tour guide for the September Wellington County Rural Romp. I had no idea what one does in a romp in the rurals, and had given no thought to what I would say, until today, when the first of about 110 visitors arrived at Whole Circle.

"Hi, thanks for coming. My name is Peter, and I'm going to give you a romp in the rurals; I mean, um, let's start our tour of Whole Circle Farm, shall we?..."

It was a great day. It helps me to understand why I'm here when I'm explaining to visitors what we do on this farm, why it's different from most modern farms, and why all the parts of the farm - cows, chickens, pigs and vegetable gardens are all connected through the soil, and why the soil is the most critical aspect of the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment